Some emotionaly powerful photographs taken
- Eight-year-old Christian Golczynski accepts the flag for his father, Marine Staff Sgt. Marc Golczynski, during a memorial service. Marc Golczynski was shot on patrol during his second tour in Iraq (which he had volunteered for) just a few weeks before he was due to return home.
- Journalists Euna Lee and Laura Ling, who had been arrested in North Korea and sentenced to 12 years hard labor, are reunited with their families in California after a successful diplomatic intervention by the U.S.
- Harold Whittles hears for the first time ever after a doctor places an earpiece in his left ear.
- A Russian war veteran kneels beside the tank he spent the war in, now a monument
- Navy chaplain Luis Padillo gives last rites to a soldier wounded by sniper fire during a revolt in Venezuela. (Héctor Rondón Lovera)
- U.S. Army troops wade ashore during the D-Day Normandy landings on June 6, 1944.
- Terri Gurrola is reunited with her daughter after serving in Iraq for 7 months.
- Christians protect Muslims during prayer in the midst of the uprisings in Cairo, Egypt, in 2011.